Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Jointing problems

Han wrote:
Trying to get 42" long 6" nominal width boards of nice white oak jointed to
glue up for a shelf. Now the boards touch at the ends, but have 1/16" or
so gaps in the middle. What did I do wrong with this jointing on my little
Delta jointer? Should I try a handplane?

Me Who Has No Experience says: Your glue-up would go better if it were
1/16" (or probably even more) FATTER in the middle--that's supposed to
be even better than FLAT. With that in mind, I would hack out wood away
from the middle, of course, the same amount on each side. Maybe a final
pass through the jointer, smoothing off just 1/32" with your goal in
mind. Then see how two of them clamp.

Please let me know how works out! Hopefully, someone will correct me
if I'm too far off base. Good luck! And, careful on the "hacking" part!
: )

Bill