Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Social Security Number

On Dec 8, 11:38*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 08:56:45 -0500, George
wrote:

Not disputing troubled "home guy" but how much do you suppose it adds to
the cost of a crate of produce if you load it on an airplane with 5
other crates and fly it 1,000 miles into the most distant of the
Northwest territories?

Have you been watching Ice Pilots? *That Electra sucks a lot of fuel
every mile. *In one show they were transporting fuel to some distant
outpost and burned as much as they delivered.

http://www.what2fly.com/operating_co...ectra_l188.php
$11 per mile

Operating Costs Per Hour

*Other Related Information

Fuel Cost Per Hour:

*$3834.47

*Fuel Cost Per Gallon: $5.47

Oil Cost Per Hour:

$4.00

Fuel Type: Jet-A

OK, let's work with the above. Clare told us that it cost
$141 to ship a single head of cabbage from Resolute to Arctic Bay,
right?

It's a distance of 200 miles. The Electra has a cruise speed
of 373mph. Let's be generous and say the flight takes an hour.
Per your numbers the fuel cost is $3,800. The Electra has a
payload capacity of 45,000 lbs. So, using your numbers
the fuel cost per pound for the flight is $.08. Let's say it flies
with only a quarter of a load. It's then $.32

Or take the bottom line number you supplied, $11 per mile.
Then the trip total operating cost is $2,200

Let's double that assuming there isn't much coming back
the other way. The highest number I get is then $.64 per
pound of freight.

Now of course there are a lot of other costs involved besides
the operating cost of the aircraft, the pilots, depreciation of
the aircraft, profits, etc.
But do you really think given the above, that it a cabbage
costing $16 can be attributed to the air transportation?
I can see it being a couple bucks. Which by the way
jives with what you stated about it costing as much as
the fuel to haul gasoline to the most remote Canadian
military base. Four bucks for hauling a gallon of gas,
a buck or two for hauling a cabbage. I can deal with that.

And according to Clare the freaking cabbage should
cost $141+ because that's what it costs to ship it.
And the other thing that makes no sense is that the shipping
rate goes up, per pound, the more you ship? I can see
that happening for special, large, heavy items. But
according to Clare's rates, you could ship those cabbages
cheaper one at a time. His rates show that to ship
up to 10kg, it's $40 per kg. But if you ship 11kg, then it
goes up to $50/kg? That's just a 22 lb item.

Beginning to smell like either the heavy hand of govt
or some major shystering to me.