Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Floodlights - led or tungsten?

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:44:06 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby wrote:

Install cost lot higher for anything near as bright, depends how
bright you actually need.

For security you don't need bright, indeed it is counter productive as
anybody outside the pool of blinding light is effectively invisible in
the blackness and every bodies night vision is screwed up as well.

Security just needs to evenly illuminate the area so anybody in it can be
seen and that doesn't take a great deal of light.

I'm also looking at adding to the external lighting here and am tempted
by the IP65 10W LED things you can get for £20 ish but that price is
ringing the "to good to be true" alarm bell. Will investigate the Steinel
LED stuff from TLC.

On a recent thread we were chatting about some offerings on amazon about
20quid that looked ok, might be worth getting one for a looksee and an
extended power up trial. The you can feed back on the quality ;-).

FWIW, I thought the Steinel led and combined units were a bit pricey but
I've used their sensors and would happily use them again. The corner
mount sensors (not avail on TLC, but on amazon) are pricey but they use
multiple PIR sensors and can cover 2 sides of a building properly.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .