Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Social Security Number

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 04:35:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I've been hiring people for the past 40 years. *While it used to be
SOP to have the SS#, it has not been for years now. * *You? *- Hide quoted text -

That's interesting? You say it used to be asked for, but
hasn't now for years. What caused the change? And how
could you possibly know what all other employers are or
are not doing all over the country?

I said, it used to be SOP, but is not now. That does not mean that
some companies do not still ask for it. I don't know what every
employer does, but I do know what some do and don't do.

What changed? Identity theft and security of personal information. As
this became more of a problem, enlightened employers decided to change
their methods. Some states used to use your SS for your driver's
licence number also. It certainly seems an easy thing to do, but I
know at leas MA stopped doing it.