LRod

Default Powermatic Model 66

On 6 May 2004 09:34:10 -0700, (LP) wrote:

Hi, I'm a new guy to this forum, though I have been reading it for
several months. Here's a letter I sent to Powermatic and WMH tool
group. Sorta long...

Interesting. I have long dreamed of buying a PM66 particularly since a
dealer I used to frequent told me that there was much more cast iron
in the trunnions than the Unisaw. I've probably spent ten years
planning on getting one. Then, within the last year I've seen and
heard more horror (well, maybe that's a little strong) stories about
Powermatic that I've been reconsidering.

My current thought is the General 650 at nearly $400 cheaper. I've had
my hand near the phone for a couple of weeks, now; I'm that close to
ordering.

Then a Woodworker's Supply catalog shows up in the mail yesterday and
on the inside cover is a Unisaw with 50" Biesemeyer and mobile base
for $1499. The rest of my shop is Delta (DP, DJ20, DC380) so this
would make sense.

But I don't know. I've heard horror (well, maybe that's a little
strong) stories about Unisaws recently, too, so I'm just a little
hesitant.

Man, this is tough: Powermatic, General, Delta, Powermatic, General,
Delta...

By the way, don't bother trying to sell me on Jet or Grizzly. Not
going to happen. Powermatic, General, Delta, Powermatic, General,
Delta...

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net