Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc,rec.woodworking

Default Blade-welding blues....

On Dec 5, 11:16*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

I also have a Grob blade welder, which is useless -- inneresting, but
useless -- afaict....

The Grob works a bit differently, really weird, and has switchable primaries
from the front, for 3 different welding currents: *about 75 A (also used for
annealing), 130 A, and 170 amps.... *talk about fried blades. *But what a
coccamammy system.... *I'l be scrapping it, unless someone wants it.

I would like the Grob blade welder. I have a Kalamazoo but off saw
that could stand a new blade. And would like to try to reserect the
Grob blade welder. I get up near you every once in a while. My son
lives in Peekskill.

Silver soldering blades is not too hard. Flip one end of the material
and clamp it to the other end so you can grind a taper on both ends at
the same time. Then clamp the ends so the ground parts are against
eath other. Use plenty of flux. Some sort of jig to hold the blades
while silver soldering is good. I made one from a short piece of
angle iron. Milling a bit away so as to have a straight edge to align
the blades, And milling away some material so the ends being soldered
do not have any of the jig sucking up the heat.

Dan

EA