Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default TV Stand Project and Cabinetry

On 12/6/2012 11:54 AM, Bill wrote:
On 12/6/2012 12:39 PM, Bill wrote:
On 12/6/2012 9:46 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/5/2012 11:22 PM, Bill wrote:
Somehow I came upon a site describing "partial inset doors" and
acquainted myself with the terms: inset, lip and reveal (thanks Larry
Jaques--that last term helped me get started). I learned inset and
lip
of 3/8" are pretty standard as is a 1" reveal (maybe that's more
standard on kitchen cabinets, than tv-stands?)

Be careful now ...these days about the only thing in the kitchen cabinet
business that screams "CHEAP" louder than lipped (partial inset) cabinet
doors is attaching a fake stile to one lipped door in a two door
cabinet.

It was just a lesson I picked up, I'm not married to it.

An "inset" door adds more to the aura of craftsmanship, ay?

I agree that a "fake stile" would be off the charts cheap! it took me
a few seconds to even imagine one.

After I build a carcase, I can assess whether it will be able to support
inset doors or not

Oops, I should have said a carcase and a *face frame*!

Listen up!

preach mode

Equally important with batch cutting, and the overriding pursuit of
square, in building cabinetry and furnitu

Design parameters, and certainly the final dimensions of many components
(doors and drawers), more often than not hinge (no pun intended) upon
the hardware being used!

Rule: Decide upon the hardware you are going to use for the entire
project ...to wit: hinges and hardware for the doors; drawer slides and
hardware for the drawers.

Rule: Then purchase those hinges, drawer slides and all hardware
_BEFORE_ you begin the project; or, at a very minimum, satisfy yourself
110% that said hardware, or alternate hardware that requires the exact
same dimensions you built to, will be available upon completion.

There are NO exceptions to the two above rules ... none.

Or, more simply put: Decide upon your hardware before you design and build.

/preach mode

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net