Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default American Farmers Fight Rise In Hay Thefts

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
-snip-

Dude, out here in the big prairie states where huge acreage and large
animal operations are the norm, farmers don't fool with the standard
hay bales. They make massive round bales, which are cylindrical and
weigh up to a ton each. Their shape means they shed rain easily, so
they don't need to be covered. The outer layer may rot, but there's
plenty of good solid hay tight and dry inside. It's not unusual to see
bales on the edge of fields that were made over a year previously.

You see more of the big ones in New York and New England than you do
the little ones these days. It appears to me that the only folks who
make the small bales are folks who are selling it.

I see a lot of them uncovered-- but almost as many in those giant
white baggies these days.

Jim