Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

Default Initiate a phone call remotely?

On 06/12/2012 00:39, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
Roger wrote:

I'm pretty sure that, in order to continue to qualify for free Caller
Display, etc., I still need to make a specified number of potentially
chargeable calls each billing period. That wasn't a problem with quarterly
billing because I was always at the flat often enough to make enough calls
each quarter - most of which would be free evening calls to my answering
machine at my main home!

What's the cost of not getting free Caller Display etc?

A few pounds per month - or I could do without it.

What's the cost of visiting the flat?

250 mile round trip. Under normal circumstances, we try to spend about a
week at the flat every month - but these visits are not entirely
uniformly spaced so, with monthly billing, we may occasionally not visit
it during a billing period.

(As someone else hinted) how come the insurer of your flat is happy that it
(may be) unlived-in for long periods?

It's a policy for holiday homes which recognises that it's not lived in
permanently.

I presume you don't have all services turned off in this flat in your
absence (because you say there's a permanent internet connection) so how do
you check that there's been no floods, power-cuts etc?

The electricity is left on. The water is turned off. The gas has, until
recently, been turned off - but the insurer is now requiring a minimun
temperature to be maintained during the winter months, so the gas has to
be left on for that.

The flat is part of a large house which has been converted into flats -
some of which *are* lived in permanently - so the neighbours will alert
me of any major problems, but don't enter my actual flat routinely.
--
Cheers,
Roger