Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default American Farmers Fight Rise In Hay Thefts

On Dec 6, 12:30*am, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 12/5/12 1:09 AM, harry wrote:

Interesting story.
How do they load a big bale of hay weighing half a ton or more?
Why would hay be left outdoors anyway?

* * *With something as simple as this:http://tinyurl.com/bx3zy6m
* There are many loaders made for tractors, skid loaders and pickups.
* *It isn't at all unusual for hay to be left outside. *The bales might
rot a bit on the outside but the interior is usually fine.
* *We used to put what we could in the barn and stack the rest just
outside the cow lot. *This was in the days of the 60-80 pound
rectangular bales. *We loaded, unloaded, and stacked by hand.
* * Ranchers in the Nebraska Sandhills used to make hay stacks with
loose hay. *A single haystack hehttp://tinyurl.com/ajxoece
A bunch of pictures here *http://tinyurl.com/cqap8tfof various sized
bales, hay equipment etc.

Few people make small bales these days.
Few people even make hay, they make silage.
How do you steal a haystack of loose hay then?