Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc,rec.woodworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Blade-welding blues....

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 23:16:21 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

So does anyone have some advice?? Mebbe I should learn to silver solder my
blades?? I hear people do that effectively.
I just can't believe I've had all this bad luck, after having welded so many
blades flawlessly, back when.
Could it be cheap blades, cheap alloy??

I have (4) blade welders. All of them are old. And all of them do
pretty much as yours do. I took one to a guy who actually repairs
them..and he told me it was frankly..worn out. My DoAll is good for
up t 5/8" stock and it may weld..but the welds are so poor that even
decent annealing wont save them. They Will break. Sometimes putting
them on the saw..sometimes within the first dozen cuts.

So now I heliarc them with the TIG. That was a learning
experince....shrug

Ive heard the Harbor Freight welder works well enough. Id suggest
buying one and trying it. Or find a shop close by that will let you
knock off a half dozen or dozen blades on their machine.

And only..only buy Lennox bi-metal blades. Chinese blades suck and
the Starret arent much better.

Gunner

1. Lie