Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Initiate a phone call remotely?

On 05/12/2012 21:51, Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/12/2012 23:09, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

can anyone suggest the best way of making calls from the flat without
actually being there?

A VoIP adapter (e.g SPA3102) with an ethernet connection to the ADSL
router, and PSTN connection to the phone line, you could then make a
VoIP call "in" to the ATA which it is configured to dial "out" via the
PSTN

Sounds interesting, but I don't quite understand. Is there any chance
that you could spell it out in a bit more detail?

If I were doing this with my router (2830 mentioned elsewhere), I would
have it register with a SIP account that allocates a real phone number.
This will allow one to dial into the router via a PSTN call to the VoIP
number. The router could then be configured to relay incoming calls to
a POTS number of your choice. So in effect you place a phone call that
originates on the PSTN (or mobile networks), gets shifted onto VoIP by
the SIP provider of choice, the router then received that "call" and is
programmed to relay to another POTS line - routing your call back via
the PSTN land line its connected to.

--
Cheers,

John.