Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Initiate a phone call remotely?

On 05/12/2012 21:48, Roger Mills wrote:
On 05/12/2012 16:23, John Rumm wrote:

Or, possibly see if one could find an old dial in router that had
secure phone back capability - used to be popular in corporate circles -
you would phone it, it would then phone back on a preprogrammed number.

The only problem with that is that it would respond to *all* incoming
calls and potentially make outgoing calls at times when they are
chargeable. Also, it would have to answer before the answering machine
cut in, so no-one would be able to leave a message.

Ideally, I would like something which I could initiate by talking to the
router over the internet.

Well if you want to get posh, a Draytek Vigor 2830 has triple wan
capability, VPN termination and the ability to fall back to POTS modem
dialup if required. Also various VoIP capabilities with POTS
passthrough. (quite a decent router, and 802.11n wifi box as well)

--
Cheers,

John.