Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default An idiot and his table saw...

" writes:
On Dec 5, 10:15=A0am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Leon wrote:

10+ years ago before the SawStop was in production I questioned Gass
about this. =A0My TS accident happened after I finished a cut and had
turned the saw off. =A0The blade was coasting down to a stop when I was
cut. =A0I wanted to know back then it those bases were covered also.

=A0 =A0A modification can be made to table saws with induction or split
phase motors. =A0You change the power switch from SPST to SPDT, add a
diode & electrolytic capacitor that charges when the motor is running.
When you switch the motor off, the capacitor discharges through the
motor, causing a rapid braking effect. =A0This can't be done with
universal motors, since they will run on DC.

Even if this could work, it would have to be one hell
of a huge cap to hold enough energy to stop a spinning motor
and saw blade in the time to prevent injury. The cap might
be bigger than the saw.

All you need is enough juice to burn through the fuse wire in
the mechanism. Gravity and mechanical springs take over,
as I understand it.