Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default An idiot and his table saw...

On Dec 5, 12:24*pm, dpb wrote:
On 12/5/2012 7:24 AM, wrote: On Dec 5, 12:38 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet *wrote:

If the saw was running, it will stop if there is a loss of power. *Yes
the stop will work if the saw is turned off.

You know this for a fact? *It's in the product description?

Well, Leon's second sentence is somewhat ambiguous altho if intended
specifically what is written only then I think he's right. *Turning the
saw off isn't the same thing as loss of power. *Having the two in
juxtaposition as does leads one to easily conclude that is saying that
the actuator would still function in the latter case. *I don't know if
that was intended meaning or not.

I think it is correct that it would likely function if one hit the blade
during coastdown after turning the saw off w/ the normal switch (not
removing power from the saw) altho I can't find that specifically
addressed on the SS site.

I do _not_ think from the description it is at all likely that they have
designed it so that it would actuate during coastdown after the external
removal of power. *I base this on the following description of
operation-- In order to stop the saw, a fast-acting brake stops the
blade when

contact is detected. The brake includes a heavy-duty spring to push a
block of aluminum, called a brake pawl, into the teeth of the blade
to stop the blade from spinning. The spring is held in compression by
a fuse wire until contact is detected. When contact is detected, the
system sends a surge of electricity through the fuse wire to burn the
wire and release the spring.

I seriously doubt there is a backup supply for that power to the fusible
link after a power outage nor is there any indication of a backup power
supply to keep the microprocessor circuitry functioning after loss of
power to the machine.

--

I agree. Having the protection system work during coast-down
after the power switch is turned off seems like an excellent