Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie Meanie is offline

Default Social Security Number

"IGot2P" wrote in message
On 12/4/2012 8:30 PM, Meanie wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 4, 8:27 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was talking on the phone with my cousin today. She has worked as a
substitute teacher in several schools. She is between jobs. One of
the things she mentioned was that they require her to furnish her SSN
on job applications. Since the wrong person could do some serious
damage with your SSN, I really think it is a bad idea to have to
furnish them for a job application.

How is a prospective employer supposed to do
any kind of background checks without even a
SS #? It's typically asked for when applying for a
loan, credit card, apartment rental, hospital visit,
etc. So, I don't see the issue as being unique
or unreasonable in regard to employment.

Financial institutes, leasing agencies, medical facilities, etc. all
require
financial payment for services and/or goods. They require the need to
check
credit history to ensure they deal with a financially responsible person
so
they can get paid. An employer does not and simply pays the employee to
do a
job. If anything, the applicant should check the history of the employer
ensure they've never had problems with payroll. There is no need for an
employer to seek SSN....period.

I am retired now but one of the first things that we did when someone
applied for employment was to run their SS# against the ones that were
already on file for current employees. You might find it surprising but
several times that SS# was already being used by one of our employees. We
then had to find out if the current employee was the actual owner of that
SS# or if the applicant was or neither of them was.

Now that opens a new light and I can see the reason. BUT, I still can't see
why they cannot wait to do that if/after they hire the person. Yes, it may
avoid a minor hassle of hiring and paperwork, but it isn't difficult, IMO,
to simply move on to the runner up applicant.