Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Social Security Number

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:30:05 -0500, "Meanie" wrote:

wrote in message
On Dec 4, 8:27 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was talking on the phone with my cousin today. She has worked as a
substitute teacher in several schools. She is between jobs. One of
the things she mentioned was that they require her to furnish her SSN
on job applications. Since the wrong person could do some serious
damage with your SSN, I really think it is a bad idea to have to
furnish them for a job application.

How is a prospective employer supposed to do
any kind of background checks without even a
SS #? It's typically asked for when applying for a
loan, credit card, apartment rental, hospital visit,
etc. So, I don't see the issue as being unique
or unreasonable in regard to employment.

Financial institutes, leasing agencies, medical facilities, etc. all require
financial payment for services and/or goods. They require the need to check
credit history to ensure they deal with a financially responsible person so
they can get paid. An employer does not and simply pays the employee to do a
job. If anything, the applicant should check the history of the employer to
ensure they've never had problems with payroll. There is no need for an
employer to seek SSN....period.

No need for the PROSPECTIVE employer to have your SSN - but once you
are hired he needs it for with-holding taxes etc.
A hotel, car rental, library, credit card company, bank, or anyone NOT
directly involved in my "social security" does NOT get my number - and
is told in no uncertain terms that asking for it is treading on thin
ice.