Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Social Security Number

On Dec 4, 8:27*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I was talking on the phone with my cousin today. *She has worked as a
substitute teacher in several schools. *She is between jobs. *One of
the things she mentioned was that they require her to furnish her SSN
on job applications. *Since the wrong person could do some serious
damage with your SSN, I really think it is a bad idea to have to
furnish them for a job application.

How is a prospective employer supposed to do
any kind of background checks without even a
SS #? It's typically asked for when applying for a
loan, credit card, apartment rental, hospital visit,
etc. So, I don't see the issue as being unique
or unreasonable in regard to employment.

I went online tonight to put a hold on a book at the library. *The
library is using the first 4 numbers of my SSN in their "primary
identification" field.

That seems like a violation of security to me.

It seems kind of odd and dumb to me too. But I
don't think anyone is gonna get far with 4 digits..