Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default An idiot and his table saw...

On Dec 5, 2:18*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 4, 4:28 pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

"dpb" wrote in

Well, let them demo this sawstop ditty while *whipping* a hot dog into
the
blade, see how the hot dog fares. Any such vids?? Not from the mfr,
I'll
bet.

If I'm wrong, I bet wrong then. We'll see.

And, once again the "ante of complexity" just skyrockets ...
2012 cars are 50% heavier than cars in 1975 (a 2000# beetle then now
weighs
3000#),...

Actually, I have seen a demo of Gass w/ a hotdot on a stick and swinging
it pretty quickly. It didn't get more than a nick that at most a stitch
or two would take care of.

As for the VW, sure--it was nothing but a tin can on wheels then...otoh,
1975 Buick weighed probably 25% more than the largest one you could
manage
to equip today and that's pretty much true on the overall US fleet
average. Has had to happen because of the EPA fleet-average mileage
rules...

The cost differential on the SawStop is owing imo to brand
identification
and uniqueness in the field as well as to the actual production cost
differential between that saw and the same one w/o the actuator
mechanism--that really is a meaningless comparison as there isn't any
such
thing as the Sawstop cartridge mechanism must be designed into the saw
from the git-go--it can't be retrofitted into a conventionally
designed/built saw.

Actually, that was my initial understanding, until I read the thing about
SS
adding only $100-200 to a saw, giving the impression it could be
retrofitted
somehow.

What on earth about it costing $100 to $200 to add
it to a saw gave you the impression in can be retrofitted?
When they said that air bags or anti-lock brakes would
add $300 to a car, did you think that meant you could
retrofit it to your 1965 Chevy?
Did you look at the same video we all did? *It also relies on sensor
technology that detects
the change in capacitance/resistance when you touch
it. * For that to work, clearly the blade has to be perfectly
insulated from the table and the rest of the apparatus.
Think that's possible with your current saw? *Actually, I bet the
resistance is near zero.
Steel blade, shaft, bearings, etc.

So there really IS economic sodomy here....
Trader4 ought to be ecstatic.....
--
EA

I'm just happy that after hurling the usual insults,
winds up with you showing that you're as clueless as ever.
And I'm sure I'm not the only one here wondering why
in a discussion of saw safety features your mind is
focused on sodomy. * Have something special planned
for tonight?

Your wife? *But only if she's not too sore from the last go-around....
--
EA- Hide quoted text -

EA, you're just ****ed because you're not in that video.
When I saw the title "An idiot and his table saw...", I fully
expected to see it featuring you.