Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Initiate a phone call remotely?

In uk.d-i-y polygonum wrote:
Can someone explain to me why BT think it necessary to impose such silly
requirements? Especially if they can be fulfilled by all sorts of
workarounds. Don't we usually expect to pay more if we use something
more - rather than (as it appears) pay more if we don't use enough of it?

Because BT make most of their profit on calls, therefore they want you to
make some. They want to discourage you from having a line you only use to
receive calls, or just for ADSL, and so if you don't use the line you pay
more to make up for what revenue they didn't get from call charges.

This is why telcos love talking about how many pennies you save on line
rental (eg Virgin's 'free' phone line) but fail to mention how expensive
their calls are... (32p/min to Three mobiles on Virgin).

Theo