Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default WC over-flows

Only if you are on a meter though. Luckily, my old one still has an outside
overflow, even though the cistern is plastic.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 04/12/2012 05:54, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
On 04/12/2012 00:12, wrote:
Hi all,

Do modern WC systerns still need an external overflow pipe? I've been
wondering for years why they don't just overflow down into the soil
exit pipe and save boring extra holes through outside walls and
whatnot. Now I have a Geberit wall frame unit to install and can't
find any mention of overflow in the instructions, so I'm guessing
maybe it doesn't need one due to this. Can anyone clarify the
situation? I admit to being very out of date on this subject!

Thanks.

ISTR that there were regs about the visibility of overflows so problems
were not overlooked. It now seems that overflows that run down the pan
are accepted as being visible.
Neither of our WCs (one Topravit and one labelled Utopia) have external
oveflows.

There may well be regulations, but they are largely ignored. IME all new
cisterns have internal overflows and I've never seen one with any kind of
visible or other warning.

If they overflow, the customer usually describes it as "the toilet won't
stop flushing". It's often the water bill that alerts you to the problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk