Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WC over-flows

Hi all,

Do modern WC systerns still need an external overflow pipe? I've been wondering for years why they don't just overflow down into the soil exit pipe and save boring extra holes through outside walls and whatnot. Now I have a Geberit wall frame unit to install and can't find any mention of overflow in the instructions, so I'm guessing maybe it doesn't need one due to this. Can anyone clarify the situation? I admit to being very out of date on this subject!

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi all,

Do modern WC systerns still need an external overflow pipe? I've been
wondering for years why they don't just overflow down into the soil
exit pipe and save boring extra holes through outside walls and
whatnot.
Now I have a Geberit wall frame unit to install and can't find any
mention of overflow in the instructions, so I'm guessing maybe it
doesn't need one due to this. Can anyone clarify the situation?
I admit to being very out of date on this subject!

Thanks.

The only problem with that, is that you mightn't necessarily be
aware there was any problem with the cistern unless it made a
lot of noise in overflowing. Which it might not do if forming
a steady stream. So it's possibly not a good idea certainly if
your water consumption is metered.

External overflows have the advantage of being fairly
obvious - as indicating a problem - to anyone standing
outside.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 05:54:25 +0000, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:

On 04/12/2012 00:12, wrote:
Hi all,

Do modern WC systerns still need an external overflow pipe? I've been wondering for years why they don't just overflow down into the soil exit pipe and save boring extra holes through outside walls and whatnot. Now I have a Geberit wall frame unit to install and can't find any mention of overflow in the instructions, so I'm guessing maybe it doesn't need one due to this. Can anyone clarify the situation? I admit to being very out of date on this subject!

Thanks.

ISTR that there were regs about the visibility of overflows so problems
were not overlooked. It now seems that overflows that run down the pan
are accepted as being visible.
Neither of our WCs (one Topravit and one labelled Utopia) have external
oveflows.

My cistern overflows internally and down into the pan. A few weeks ago there
was a small leak around the outlet seal (or so I thought) and the only
indicators we
occasional burst of filling (could be a faulty inlet - it's a bit fancy)
dilution at the bottom of the pan
then, leaving the pan to dry for a couple of hours after flushing, the back
of the pan was still wet (the tissue test).

Replaced outlet seal - no go. Removed cistern and rebuilt the whole lot with
new doughnut and sealant - leak was worse! Tightened the assembly just by
turning it by hand (The bottom nut on the outside is very large and not very
thick, so tools don't work too well) and the leak stopped.

The point is, such a leak isn't visible and, in this case, might have been
10 - 20 li/week, so only just enough to notice and almost within expected
reading. Only the infrequent sound of the inlet was an obvious clue.

Better than a mate's warning pipes from the 2 cisterns in the loft:
went out to the gutter, then downpipe into ground, so no gully!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 05:54:25 +0000 Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote
:
ISTR that there were regs about the visibility of overflows so problems
were not overlooked. It now seems that overflows that run down the pan
are accepted as being visible.

Now that an increasing number of people have water meters, the water
companies presumably care less and less.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2012 10:32, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 05:54:25 +0000 Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote
:
ISTR that there were regs about the visibility of overflows so problems
were not overlooked. It now seems that overflows that run down the pan
are accepted as being visible.

Now that an increasing number of people have water meters, the water
companies presumably care less and less.

Thames Water seem to have gone off the boil a bit with meters. Probably
involves them in too much pipework

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2012 18:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm surprised they have not built a microprocessor into them by now, can't
be long.

Brian

A Raspberry Pee?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only if you are on a meter though. Luckily, my old one still has an outside
overflow, even though the cistern is plastic.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 04/12/2012 05:54, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:
On 04/12/2012 00:12, wrote:
Hi all,

Do modern WC systerns still need an external overflow pipe? I've been
wondering for years why they don't just overflow down into the soil
exit pipe and save boring extra holes through outside walls and
whatnot. Now I have a Geberit wall frame unit to install and can't
find any mention of overflow in the instructions, so I'm guessing
maybe it doesn't need one due to this. Can anyone clarify the
situation? I admit to being very out of date on this subject!

Thanks.

ISTR that there were regs about the visibility of overflows so problems
were not overlooked. It now seems that overflows that run down the pan
are accepted as being visible.
Neither of our WCs (one Topravit and one labelled Utopia) have external
oveflows.

There may well be regulations, but they are largely ignored. IME all new
cisterns have internal overflows and I've never seen one with any kind of
visible or other warning.

If they overflow, the customer usually describes it as "the toilet won't
stop flushing". It's often the water bill that alerts you to the problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-04, polygonum wrote:

On 04/12/2012 18:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm surprised they have not built a microprocessor into them by now, can't
be long.

Brian

A Raspberry Pee?

Ha! Or wire up an Ardu-wee-no.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2012 18:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm surprised they have not built a microprocessor into them by now, can't
be long.

The Japanese have.

The Bill Gates Foundation is looking at waterless loos (very useful in
some third world countries), which convert everything that goes into
them into plasma, which is then used to power the device.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2012 00:12, wrote:

[...]

Those things can be a bloody nightmare for rental properties in
particular... your typical tenant on a water meter won't give monkeys
about the fact that water starts running into the toilet bowl 24/7,
and/or won't put two and two together and come up with the simple truth
that they are wasting and having to pay for gallons of extra water per
day. Then months later, the massive water bill comes in, and they
expect the landlord to stump up the difference because it's down to
fault in the property, as they see it. (Not BTDTGTTS, as it happens!)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 08:23:19 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Those things can be a bloody nightmare for rental properties in
particular... your typical tenant on a water meter won't give monkeys
about the fact that water starts running into the toilet bowl 24/7,
and/or won't put two and two together and come up with the simple truth
that they are wasting and having to pay for gallons of extra water per
day. Then months later, the massive water bill comes in, and they
expect the landlord to stump up the difference because it's down to
fault in the property, as they see it. (Not BTDTGTTS, as it happens!)

Where upon Landlord points to clauses in rental agrreement requiring that
faults are notified within a set period of time and also to an Appendix
forming part of the agreement that has a non-exclusive(*) list of
possible faults. An entry on which is a description of how to spot a
failed ball valve in the loo cistern.

(*) Is that the right term? A list that doesn't include everything and
something not being on the list doesn't exclude it from being considered
on it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Where upon Landlord points to clauses in rental agrreement requiring that
faults are notified within a set period of time and also to an Appendix
forming part of the agreement that has a non-exclusive(*) list of
possible faults. An entry on which is a description of how to spot a
failed ball valve in the loo cistern.

(*) Is that the right term?

"non-exhaustive" perhaps?