Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default WC over-flows

I'm surprised they have not built a microprocessor into them by now, can't
be long.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote in message
Hi all,

Do modern WC systerns still need an external overflow pipe? I've been
wondering for years why they don't just overflow down into the soil
exit pipe and save boring extra holes through outside walls and whatnot.
Now I have a Geberit wall frame unit to install and can't find any
mention of overflow in the instructions, so I'm guessing maybe it
doesn't need one due to this. Can anyone clarify the situation?
I admit to being very out of date on this subject!

Thanks.

The only problem with that, is that you mightn't necessarily be
aware there was any problem with the cistern unless it made a
lot of noise in overflowing. Which it might not do if forming
a steady stream. So it's possibly not a good idea certainly if
your water consumption is metered.

External overflows have the advantage of being fairly
obvious - as indicating a problem - to anyone standing
outside.

michael adams