The Natural Philosopher

Default Iffy wiring - should I worry?

Lobster wrote:

Having just had the bathroom floor up (qv my thread on shower trays!) I find
that the muppet who previously owned the house (10 years ago) had wired the
shaver socket using a length of ordinary appliance flex rather than proper
fixed wiring cable.

Given the amount of work it would take to rectify it (tracing the source and
re-exposing the flex from under a fully-tiled wall!), and given the low
current drawn by the shaver socket, will I be able to sleep nights if I just
nail the floorboards back down again...?

Yes, basically.

When running well, leave well alone..

BUT do a bit of mental cost benefit exercise.

What could, at worst, happen?

If u are properly CU'ed and RCD'ed basically it shorts, trips, and thats
the end of your shaver socket and you WILL have to lift the floorboards
up again and do it all properly.

If your whole wiring is like the above tho, and not properly Cu'ed and
RCD'ed, then the downside is a potential shock or worse, house fire.

Newly acquired houses are always potential candidates for complete
re-wires. Its a lot easier to do it when its empty and cleaned out and
about to be redecorated anwyay..

OTOH if somethng works, fiddling with it usually makes it worse. Leave
it or do a thorough job. The wost of all possible things is to fiddle
with it a bit and then poke most of it back.

David