Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Making welding tables

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 17:52:29 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 16:22:16 -0800, wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 15:57:25 -0600, Ignoramus7601

On 2012-12-01, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 12:46:33 -0600, Ignoramus7601

On 2012-12-01, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 07:56:27 -0600, Ignoramus7601
wrote:

A couple months ago, I discovered that "welding tables", meaning
sturdy tables with thick steel tops 3/8 to 1 inch, are very hot
selling items, desired by many people and easy to sell.

Have you researched the liability issues of fabbing to sell? I'd want
that on my umbrella policy if nothing else.

I would not be losing my sleep over liability involved in making a
welding table. It is not a spaceship or a scaffold.

I try to never underestimate the depth of stupidity in the world.
There are idiots everywhere who hurt themselves and try to get someone
else to pay for it. Far too many succeed. (see SawStop story, etc.)
Ladders have 27 different warning labels on them nowadays, each the
result of someone being stupid while on one.

I would be much more alarmed if I was making saw stops or ladders,
scaffolds, and so on.

But this is a welding table. It stays in one place.

I am still thinking about reinforcements, the need thereof, etc.

If nothing else, put perimeter bars around the leg bottoms so they
can't splay.

That makes some sense, yes

My welding bench is a piece of 3/4 steel plate welded to a frame made
from 2" square tubing. I could have, and should have, just welded the
legs to the steel top, it would have made clamping things to the table
easier. The legs all have casters on the ends so that I can roll it
around. I used 1" square tubing to brace the perimeter at the leg
bottoms only on three sides so that I can sit at the bench and TIG
weld. Because of the casters the perimeter bars are about 5 inches
above the floor which makes them nice to set a foot on when welding
while standing. I welded vertically two 2"x3" x 1/4" thick plates to
the underside of the table at the back. The plates are parallel to the
back edge and located at either side. They are for ground clamps and
were one of my better ideas.

Yes, I'll bet they are.

My table is a rotating floor grate with 1-1/2" x 5/16" vertical bars.
About 3' square, smaller pipe set into a 3" upright with tripod base
made from 3" U stock. It followed me home from Gunners one year.
The grates stop round stock from rolling around better than I had
imagined. It lives outside and I take a wire brush to one little area
for grounding when I need to use it. The perfect zero-cost table...if
I don't need to fab up something perfectly square.

The single upright reminds me not to put really heavy stuff on top.

I was wondering where that thing had gotten off to (the stroke..sigh)

Glad its doing a good job for you!

Gunner

1. Lie