Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making welding tables

I'm building a target system and use 3/8" thick, 4x4 angle iron.
3/8 might be light. Legs have to be attached top and bottom.

Martin

On 12/1/2012 10:15 AM, Phil Kangas wrote:
"Pete S" wrote in
message
I know this is almost OT, but is the pipe that
you have cast iron or is it cast steel?
If it's cast iron, can you still weld it well to
the plate?

I am not much of a welder, but I'd be a little
concerned about the plate warping where the leg
welds occur. This might be a bad thing for
flatness.

Also, I'd go with a minimum plate thickness of
1/2" or even more. I suppose it depends on what
the user is going to do with it. My kid is a
welder by trade and he tacks things to the table
all the time to hold the parts in place. In
that case, I assume that thicker is better.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Tacking things to the table is a very bad habit!
Do not get caught
doing that to my table. The scars have to be
ground off and
after a while the table is nowhere close to being
flat. I have
a table 1 1/4 thick astm514 (T-1) with 3x5 angle
iron for legs
with the heel of the angle towards the center so
that a clamp
can be used at the very corner of the table.