Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Making welding tables

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 08:30:35 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus7601 fired this volley in
news
1) do they need any reinforcements, such as cross braces etc
2) What is the most optimal table height? 30 inches?

Ig, 2" pipe is very strong in compression, but pretty narrow. Given its
column strength, someone might be encouraged to put a VERY heavy item on
the table, then attempt to move it, bending or breaking off the tiny
legs.

You should gusset them or diagonally brace them. I'd also put at least
one leg dead in the middle, to prevent bowing with heavy, centered loads.

I personally prefer about 32" high, but that's a highly "personalized"
matter, and partly hinges on what sort of work will be done on the table.
For tiny work, 36" might be better.

If it's not too much work, you could put footed telescoping rods into the
bottoms of the tubular legs, and drill a few holes for cross-bolts.

Lloyd

Indeed. I far and away prefer 4" pipe. Properly welded and while I do
like the idea of a center post..that sorta precludes a shelf or welder
stable under the table.

Gunner

1. Lie