Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Making welding tables

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message

"Pete S" wrote in message
I know this is almost OT, but is the pipe that you have cast iron or is it
cast steel?
If it's cast iron, can you still weld it well to the plate?

I am not much of a welder, but I'd be a little concerned about the plate
warping where the leg welds occur. This might be a bad thing for
flatness.

Also, I'd go with a minimum plate thickness of 1/2" or even more. I
suppose it depends on what the user is going to do with it. My kid is a
welder by trade and he tacks things to the table all the time to hold the
parts in place. In that case, I assume that thicker is better.

Pete Stanaitis

Tacking things to the table is a very bad habit! Do not get caught
doing that to my table. The scars have to be ground off and
after a while the table is nowhere close to being flat. I have
a table 1 1/4 thick astm514 (T-1) with 3x5 angle iron for legs

Holy ****.... dat table may fall to the center of the earth.....
--
EA

with the heel of the angle towards the center so that a clamp
can be used at the very corner of the table.