Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default Making welding tables

I know this is almost OT, but is the pipe that you have cast iron or is it
cast steel?
If it's cast iron, can you still weld it well to the plate?

I am not much of a welder, but I'd be a little concerned about the plate
warping where the leg welds occur. This might be a bad thing for flatness.

Also, I'd go with a minimum plate thickness of 1/2" or even more. I suppose
it depends on what the user is going to do with it. My kid is a welder by
trade and he tacks things to the table all the time to hold the parts in
place. In that case, I assume that thicker is better.

Pete Stanaitis