Default Question about portable electric planers

On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:40:55 GMT, Alan Witt
wrote:

I hope someone could teach me a few things about those portable electric
planers like the Dewalt DW680K 3-1/4" portable planer.

Are these only for use on stock that's the same width as the blades, or can
it be reliably used to plane down something as big as 12" stock? I need to
plane a 12"x18" 2/4 piece of stock to 3/8" thick and all of the wood stores
in town I've talked to won't do it unless I buy the wood from them and I
already have all the stock I need.

I don't have much money, so I figure I can put it to better use purchasing
a good quality portable planer as opposed to a very cheap 12" planer. Any
advice is appreciated. Thank you.

they are intended for use on materials equal to or less than the width
of the blade. that said, it is possible to do a passable job of what
you want, but it will take some practise to aquire skill enough with
the tool to pull it off. the basic procedure is the same as with
thicknessing with hand planes- I think Jeff Gorman's website covers
that pretty well. an unpowered hand plane will likely do a better job,
take a little longer, cost about the same, be easier to sharpen and be
more fun, if you're into that sort of thing.