Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Installing Leviton Whole House Surge Protector

On 11/29/2012 12:08 PM, Doc wrote:
Looking to clarify some points installing a Leviton 51110 whole
house surge protector from Home Depot.

The surge protector has four leads - two black, one green, one white.

1. From what I understand the blacks need to go to adjacent 20 amp
breakers, doesn't matter which goes to which. There aren't two
adjacent 20's on my board so I gather 2 more need to be installed?

The instructions recommend 30A breakers.

1b. - If 2 more breakers need to be installed, the available spots are
below the already installed breakers. Shouldn't they be as close as
possible to the top of the stack of breakers so any surge hits the
protector before hitting the rest of the breakers or not necessarily?

I have a slight preference for a postion near the feed - top in your
panel. But you want to minimize the length of wire from the protector to
the hot, neutral and ground connections. (And you don't want sharp bends
in the wires.) In your panel my preference would be to connect the
protector to the panel on the right toward the bottom of the busbars.
The neutral connection goes to the bar on the left side under the
busbars. Minimum length to the ground bar. I would put the breaker(s)
for the surge protector in the bottom right position (moving the breaker
that is there now).

2. The instructions specify the white line going to the neutral bus,
the green going to the ground bus. However, the schematic seems to
show the green and white going to a common ground.

The neutral is connected to "ground" at a service panel. That connection
may be at this panel, or probably at the service disconnect.

I would prefer to install the surge protection where the earthing
electrodes connect to the system. The earthing electrodes appear to
connect to the ground bus in the picture.

On my box, I've id'd "A" as the neutral bus - the one with the white
wires going to it, "B" as the ground bus. Is this correct?

Yes.

Anyone have experience with this particular unit?

Thanks for all input.

- My breaker box:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...reaker_Box.jpg

- Installation schematic:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/.../schematic.JPG

- Link to info on this protector at the Leviton site.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251

Nice picture and links. It helps a lot.