Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bill[_43_] Bill[_43_] is offline

Default Installing Leviton Whole House Surge Protector

In article edff550d-e663-4db0-bf2d-5a2fe7cb5621
@n8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com, says...

On Nov 29, 1:56*pm, Bill wrote:

Anyway you have two hots coming in at the top of the panel. Note there
is NO MAIN CUT OFF SWITCH! Power will ALWAYS BE LIVE to this panel!!!!

There's a main breaker outside the house. I could install one of these
little square box protector units on that but if I put one on the
inside panel in the garage I'll be walking by it all the time and can
more readily observe the status lights.

You can NOT place two wires in one breaker connection, so you need to
buy a new "full size" double breaker for that specific brand/model
panel.

You feel it should be a double breaker instead of two singles?

Just be sure to turn off the main power before doing any work! OK to
install it on the inside subpanel.

Then double breakers are usually used for a 240 volt appliance. They
have what is called an "internal common trip". Those would be for things
like a range, electric hot water heater, etc. And in that case, if one
"hot" was overloaded, you would want both to trip as is what happens.

But I would not think that would matter with this surge protector. It
would be important for safety to have a tie-bar between the two breakers
though (handle connecting both breakers). That would be to service it.
You would have to turn off both breakers. So safer.

I would just get a double breaker, as a retail store might not sell the
tie bar part. An "electricians supply" would.