Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Robotoy -

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:19:52 -0500, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 11/29/2012 2:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:32:21 -0500, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 11/29/2012 9:19 AM, Swingman wrote:
Got this from Rob's wife this morning:

quote

Thanks so much for the e-card today, it meant a lot to Rob. Also, thank
you for sharing the news on the Wreck as he got another 1/2 dozen from
some of the regulars there. He was very tickled that you shared the info
and that they sent the cards. In 2 days he has received 31 e-cards and
it really has lifted his spirits. Thanks again and please thank those in
the wreck for us as well.

/quote

That's a very clever service for a hospital to provide. It's mostly the
actual treatment that makes us well of course, but the other stuff
really helps.

I disagree, Greg. Without the proper attitude, people just don't get
as well or as quickly. Fatalists die a whole lot quicker than
fighters. Ask any cancer doctor. Attitude definitely affects your
odds of survival almost everywhere.

I did say "mostly",

Oops, rereading your post, I glossed over or discounted the last half
of that sentence. I should have been agreeing with you somewhat more.

and I have more experience in this area than I do at
woodworking; more than I would really have preferred. My outlook tracked
my physical "discomfort" (that's the common euphemism anyway) quite
closely; when I felt terrible my attitude was terrible too. It's hard to
avoid.

Agreed. When you feel bad, dark thoughts come easily.

Everyone involved with my care was truly extraordinary - the doctors,
the nurses and even the office staff. It was entirely unlike my other
two hospital experiences. They must hire especially personable people
and explicitly allow them to be "inefficient" sometimes; chatting with
the patients and families, walking people to another wing of the
building rather than just giving complicated directions. One young

That's great.

woman, an intern I think, held my hand during an especially painful
procedure. Two years later, she may just be getting the circulation back
in that hand.

Gripped it hard, didja? g Sounds like a good hospital crew.

Fatalist? Fighter? Neither one sounds like me. I endured; that's about
the best word for it.

That puts you more into the Fighter category in my books. Kudos.

The treatment did its job even when I was having a real hard time. But
the kind attention of a whole lot of people helped me through as well.

It sure does help. A simple fleeting-but-caring touch on your
forehead when you're sick can make the whole day turn out nicely.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt