Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Installing Leviton Whole House Surge Protector

"Doc" wrote in message
Looking to clarify some points installing a Leviton 51110 whole
house surge protector from Home Depot.

The surge protector has four leads - two black, one green, one white.

1. From what I understand the blacks need to go to adjacent 20 amp
breakers, doesn't matter which goes to which. There aren't two
adjacent 20's on my board so I gather 2 more need to be installed?

1b. - If 2 more breakers need to be installed, the available spots are
below the already installed breakers. Shouldn't they be as close as
possible to the top of the stack of breakers so any surge hits the
protector before hitting the rest of the breakers or not necessarily?

2. The instructions specify the white line going to the neutral bus,
the green going to the ground bus. However, the schematic seems to
show the green and white going to a common ground.

On my box, I've id'd "A" as the neutral bus - the one with the white
wires going to it, "B" as the ground bus. Is this correct?

Anyone have experience with this particular unit?

Thanks for all input.

- My breaker box:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...reaker_Box.jpg

- Installation schematic:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/.../schematic.JPG

You will need to install the new breakers. They do not have to be near the
top as the bus for the hot wires are thick enough not to make any
differance.

Breakers usually alternate from the left hot wire to the right hot wire as
you come down the line. That is why you should install two breakers next to
each other. The one on the top right looks to be two single breakers that
are connected by a connector so that if one trips, both sides will
disconnect. There are some single breakers that take up two slots and only
one switch. While this is a single breaker each screw is hooked to the
seperate incomming black hot wires. This is for running the 240 volt
devices.

The neutral and ground wires should be connected together in the breaker
box so it does not really make any differance as to where you connect the
white and green wires from the surge protector as far as to neutral and
ground. It just looks beter if the white is connected to neutral and green
to ground. May need to be that way just to satify the electrical code.

The one labled A is the neutral and your white wire should go there. the one
with the bare wires , your B , is the ground and the green wire should go
there.