Chipper Wood

Default Running a 220 receptacle to garage

The main intent of insurance claim denial is liability. Insurance
investigators are paid commissions on finding major liability shifts. They
do know their jobs. A permit for electrical modification / addition is
usually not too specific. 1 to 10 outlets, 10 to 25 outlets, 1 to 5 220 volt
outlets, etc. The inspection semi verifies that the work was done to local
codes and standards. ( The inspection agency will not assume any liability
for errors missed or not discovered. ) If a claim arises assuming from a
fire, The investigator along with the local fire marshal will determine the
cause. They will interview neighbors, friends etc. If it is possible that a
device has failed after proper installation and properly used, The
manufacture is liable. If the device is a newer design or code dated and the
last permit and inspection was dated prior to manufacture date, There is no
proof that it was properly installed, The installer is liable. If a device
is intentionally, illegally or improperly installed or used, The owner is
liable. If death or injury has occurred, Criminal liability would be also be
included. Of course all of this is subject to the court system.

Most of the electrical codes are common sense and safety oriented. Reviewed
and written by people involved in all aspects of electrical, fire and safety
fields, they are updated periodically to prevent problems as they are
discovered or introduced. Understood and followed, an installation should be
safe and trouble free. If one decides to DIY and they have any doubts, ASK
someone experienced.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
om...
Go ahead and put more than one in... otherwise you'll wind up in my
situation...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...3Fq%3Dgroup:re
c.woodworking%2Binsubject:220%2Bauthor:Never%2Baut hor:Enough%2Bauthor:Money%
26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D2c1753d6.0403291643.1cd
4ea08%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D1

) wrote in message

om...
I've got a new saw coming Friday, and I need to run 220 to my attached
garage. I just want the one receptacle. Having read enough on it, I
think it's well within my home improvement skills (my wife, OTOH, is
shopping for funeral wear.) The only thing I don't know is whether
this is something I'm allowed to DIY. Is it something that typically
requires a permit? Inspection? Or can I just do it and go?