Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Help selecting a 3-in-1 sheet metal machine - Followup

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:28:28 -0800, Carla Fong
wrote:

Thanks to all the respondents.

We now know that most of these probably are of the same parentage...

FWIW, aside from obvious labeling and painting-to-suit-the-customer
it's common for the basic designs to be the same in China, but
produced in different factories, with different tooling and different
quality control. I don't know how this situation came about, some day
I'll bother to find out.

We evaluated our mechanical requirements and space available and figured
the 30" machine would be overkill ...

Baileigh Industrial seems to be the only company offering a machine
smaller than 30" - they have a little 12 incher for about $400 (they are
very proud of their iron - and their reputation) that will be a good
entry point for us - and we can always up-size later to a wider machine
if needed...

So, we ordered the 12 inch version and will give a report to the group
after receiving it and playing for a while.

Design looks identical to the one I have.. which was $169 including
shipping, 12 or so years ago, back when the USD bought a lot more Yuan
and other things. Last time I looked, everything was around what you
said, depending on shipping.

You'll probably want to get the cosmoline stuff off it, but mine
worked perfectly out of its little crate.