Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] krw@att.bizzz is offline

Default Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:10:27 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:25:44 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

* Or like the time i hit black ice on the road along the Conestoga
River with the 69 dart. I was just poking along and I thought it felt
like I had a slack tire. I got out and promptly sat on my ass on the
pavement. I couldn't stand on it - yet I could drive on it - and that
was without studs.

Same here. Came out of Boise ID back in the late 50s doing 65 on a 4-
lane. Stopped with no problem out in the country to "releive the main
vein" and went flat on my back. There was no clue that black ice had
developed. Slowed WAY down after that.

Harry K

Wow you guys don't know how to easily recognize it? No need to risk
your life getting out of the car. You know it is there when you are
suddenly going 50 mph backwards in the other lane. Slow rotation, but
no loss of speed. Came to a gentle stop against a snow bank. All I
had to do was turn around, change my underwear, and proceed much
slower.

At night it's easy to tell when you've hit black ice, even before the
front end points backwards. It's called "black ice" for a reason. You
can't see it because there is no back-scatter from the headlights.

When we lived in Vermont, I'd hit it occasionally. I usually found
the shoulder (where the sand and other debris accumulates) before
things got out of control but once in NY, I did the multiple 360s
trick before I found the shoulder. I *didn't* see that one coming
(though I should have). No paint lost, though.