Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

On Nov 25, 4:40*pm, Normin wrote:
If your current yearly heating bill is $1000 and you have an 80%
efficient furnace,

$800 is used for heat and $200 is wasted out the exhaust.

With a 95% efficient furnace,

$800 is still used for heat but only $42 is wasted out the exhaust.

Your yearly heat bill drops to $842 yielding a $158 per year savings.

Over the next 15 years you'll save $2370 in fuel. *If fuel prices go up,
you'll save even more.

Can you really afford an 80% efficient furnace?

I think the obvious example to that question, is yes indeed,
not only can you afford the 80% furnace, but it costs less.
The 80% furnace is already paid for. The new furnace is going
to cost significantly MORE than the $2,370 in fuel saved. Factor
in the time value of money and it looks even worse. Plus from
what we hear all the time here and from what I've seen
personally, 15 years is about the life expectancy of the new
furnaces. I've had friends who have replaced them at less
than that. So, why pay for a new furnace today when even
if it lasts 15 years, you're better off paying for the $2,370 in
fuel?