Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT combination safe and tumblers

On Nov 25, 12:49*pm, Bill wrote:
In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

OT *In the movies, safe-crackers are always listening to the tumblers
in the bank vault door. * Sometimes they use a stethoscope.

Does that really work?

In general Hollywood is not very understanding of technical things or
REALITY. The people who write those movies can't change a tire on their
car - city people.

For example as shown in movies, a heart defibrillator does NOT start a
stopped heart!...http://www.cracked.com/article/18363...chniques-from-
movies-that-can-kill-you/

What's a crock is the premise of that link. In my experiences of
watching movies, for example, they don't use CPR on someone
who's clearly been dead for a day. They use it on anyone where
there appears a chance that it will work. Are you saying for
example, that lifeguards or first responders would NOT perform
CPR on someone who was missing for 15 mins and then
found in the surf?

And as for the defibrillator, again, I don't see it being used
to try to revive someone dead for a day. It's used for the most
part like it is in real life. And no claim in any of the movies I've
seen has been specific to the point that they talk about exactly
how it works.

There are indeed lots of stuff in movies that is nonsense.
But this link sure isn't good at finding it. Half of them are
wrong.

And I have yet to see a computer which makes the noises "movie
computers" do.

Also they show crooks jumping a couple of wires on a burglar alarm
and then it is disabled. This is NOT going to happen in real life. The
people who work at the alarm companies could not do this, let alone a
burglar.

Then safes and vaults are designed differently and are of different
quality so far as their ability to deter thieves. The better of these
are "U.L." rated. And the better rated take more "time" to break into.

At the bottom of the following link it says...

["These requirements cover combination locks intended for attachment on
doors of safes, chests, vaults, and the like, to provide a means of
locking the boltwork against unauthorized opening. These requirements
are intended to test the ability of combination locks to resist
unauthorized opening of the combination locks by sense of sight, touch,
or hearing. Combination locks covered by these requirements may or may
not have integral protection against entry by force."]

http://www.klsecurity.com/ul_fire_rating.htm