Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with ... snow?

On Nov 25, 2:54*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-25-2012 11:18, Harry K wrote:

Wrong: *CC will maintain the same engine RPM needed to maintain a
certain speed
Set it for 60, hit a spot where it looses traction and those drive
wheels will still be doing 60mph until traction is resumed.

Running CC in bad conditions is NOT recommended.

You are almost correct. *The wheels will continue at the same speed but
the car will be going at almost the same speed, slowing down gradually
until traction is regained or the driver takes over. *With the wheel
speed and road speed difference being small, there is greater chance of
regaining traction quickly.

Without CC, the instant the wheel loses its grip, the engine revs up and
the wheels speed up, preventing the regain of traction. *Most drivers
will instinctively let go of the fuel pedal, making the wheels slow way
down, also preventing the regain of traction.

If you don't have CC, the best thing to do is keep your RPM close to
what it was and keep the wheels pointed in the direction the car is
moving.

Unless there is a slow obstacle in that direction. *I've occasionally
avoided a crash when skidding by flooring it and oversteering. *Even
though the rubber isn't gripping the _pavement_, a lot of slush gives
the tires some resistance, and I can modify the direction of motion
slightly that way.

BTW, I wouldn't be doing any of this at 60 even if I could see there are
no other cars or curves for miles.

--
Wes Groleau

* * A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent
* * of a black velvet clown painting. *It's a rectangle of carets
* * surrounding a quote from a literary giant of weeniedom like
* * Heinlein or Dr. Who.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *— Chris Maeda
* * Ha, ha, Dr. ..... Who's Chris Maeda?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *— Wes Groleau

Interesting theory but it flys in the face of what is taught in
drivers ed and articles on driving in mags. They all say "do not use
CC in bad conditions".

Harry K