Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

On 25 Nov 2012 21:40:47 GMT, Normin wrote:

If your current yearly heating bill is $1000 and you have an 80%
efficient furnace,

$800 is used for heat and $200 is wasted out the exhaust.

With a 95% efficient furnace,

$800 is still used for heat but only $42 is wasted out the exhaust.

Your yearly heat bill drops to $842 yielding a $158 per year savings.

Over the next 15 years you'll save $2370 in fuel. If fuel prices go up,
you'll save even more.

Can you really afford an 80% efficient furnace?

My situation is a bit different. I'm heating with oil and you don't
get quite as efficient, but very close anyway.

My oil fired boiler was 30 years old. It was getting close to needing
major work or replacement. Anything I put in would have been a bit
more efficient, but I went with a System 2000 by Energy Kinetics.

I have a good record of my fuel use and it average about 800 gallons a
year, sometimes a bit more. My savings with the new unit is about 320
gallons a year. My out of pocket cost to replace was about $6000. The
math is pretty simple. At the price of oil 30 years ago, it would
take me 25 years to get a payback. The price of oil though, went up a
tad in recent years. The payback is now 5 years. After the 5 years,
I'm saving about $1200 a year. I have more hot water, a quieter
system and saving a bunch of money. IMO, you are crazy not to replace
an old heater. Sure, gas is cheaper, but using less is still a good
thing. Run the numbers. .