Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help selecting a 3-in-1 sheet metal machine

On 2012-11-25, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

I apologize for posting this on-topic query - I am a bit reluctant to
interrupt the random streams of political babbling that seem to
monopolize the rec.craft.metalworking group...

I'm *glad* to see more actual metalworking content. I recently
reconfigured my killfile (filtering) to see how many were actually being
killed, and it is amazing (and rather depressing). (It also lets me
catch some which are killed which I would actually want to read -- my
filters are rather aggressive~.)

Anyhow, we recently acquired a rather nice Chicago 24" box and pan brake
and the acquisition has engendered a desire to do more with sheet metal.

What is the maximum gauge that one will handle? I've got an old
DiAcro which will handle up to 16 ga mild steel, and somewhat thicker
aluminum.

We're (as always) limited on floor space and would like to add the
capacity to shear and maybe roll form sheet metal parts. The original
plan was to use the plasma cutter for 'shearing' but now we're thinking
about getting one of the '3-in-1' shear/brake/roller combinations - and
maybe re-selling the Chicago brake (that's a big maybe)

I don't know the Chicago, but what I have heard about the 3-in-1
ones is that they are *all* over-rated, and will break easily if used
even close to their official rating.

Comparing the 30" machines we find on the net, the Enco 30" claims 20
gauge capacity, the Grizzly 22 gauge, the Jet 20 gauge and the shudder
Harbor Freight says 20 gauge.

It sounds to me as though Grizzly is being a little more honest
about the capacity.

Is it possible that all of these come from the same production line in
India or China and going with the cheapest will give us exactly the same
machine with a different paint job, or is one superior to the others?

Unless there are better bearings in some of them, I suspect that
they are pretty much the same tool

Is
there another alternative in the same price range that we should be
looking at?

Not in 3-in-1 machines as far as I know.

Perhaps get individual machines, and weld up a stand to support
them one above the other. You can look at old machines.

Also, to do boxes with neat corners we're thinking about getting a hand
notcher like the Enco or Jet... or maybe spending a little more for a
'nibbler' for our ironworker and giving us the capacity to notch much
heavier material for structural stuff in addition to the sheet metal
pieces. Any thoughts?

I got a used (and unbranded) corner notcher (also 16 ga
capacity) and I *did* weld up a stand for that, because there was not
enough room on the bench where the 24" DiAcro shear was mounted. Since
I was not sure about the quality of the welds I could produce (I was
still learning) I over-designed it, and designed it with the notching
shear set back on the stand so I could use it without bolting it to the
floor. There is enough room inside the frame so I mounted a spot welder
in there to save some space.

Also, this has now become time sensitive as Enco has a 20% off 'cyber
Monday' sale on the 26th (tomorrow) and if theirs is any better than the
HF one it would be worth pursuing...

I think that there is no difference to be expected in the various
machines -- though perhaps better support from someone like Grizzly.

Personally, I have been focusing mostly on used DiAcro machines
as better construction and better bearings (needle roller bearings in
the brake and the shear IIRC.

Is 20 gauge strong enough for what you want to make now? How
about what you will want to make in the future?

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564