Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:25:44 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 24, 5:40Â*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:41:45 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
Decent ice and snow tires can handle snow at 55 without any problem.

Problems I've had were on long gradual ascents.

At some point in the increasing grade, the load on the drive
tires exceeds their traction and they start to spin.

Not a big deal once you figure out what's going on, but the first
time the vehicle starts slewing side-to-side for no apparent
reason, there's a "WTF?" moment.

Â* Or like the time i hit black ice on the road along the Conestoga
River with the 69 dart. I was just poking along and I thought it felt
like I had a slack tire. I got out and promptly sat on my ass on the
pavement. I couldn't stand on it - yet I could drive on it - and that
was without studs.

Same here. Came out of Boise ID back in the late 50s doing 65 on a 4-
lane. Stopped with no problem out in the country to "releive the main
vein" and went flat on my back. There was no clue that black ice had
developed. Slowed WAY down after that.

Harry K

Then there was the time I had to deliver/install about 20 CD Rom
servers to libraries across eastern/northern Ontario in late November
- rented cube-van, and away I went.Heading out the 401 eastboud around
Kingston or Belleville I noticed vehicles starting to go "slideways".
I was only doing about 85Kph, but when I lifted my foot to slow down.,
I felt the big van start to go too - popped it into neutral, foot off
the brake, and right down the first ramp to the first Motel I could
find. Then coming back around Bancroft a couple days later - with no
load left in the truck and a pretty good snow going, I came down a
hill and I felt it getting loose again - was getting dark, and there
was a "motel" sign up the hill to the right. I just let the van into
the turnoff lane and called it a night.