Rick Nelson

Default Running a 220 receptacle to garage

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't trying to challenge or argue with you
about this point, I was just genuinely curious as I don't know jack
about that type of stuff.

Another option I thought of if they did happen to ask for documentation
is to reply, "Yes, I keep all the documentation in that desk right
there" then point to the smouldering pile of ashes G.

Similar situation came up last weekend at my Dad's house. The city
painted a big white X across a joint in the sidewalk and sent him a
notice telling him he had so many days to fix the 1/2" lip between the
two sections of sidewalk. Dad had me bring out my floor jack, and he
had his floor jack, a bunch of chain, steel pipe, sand, etc. I told him
"Dad, we don't need all this crap, all we need is some carburator
cleaner and a can of white spray paint - move the X down 30 feet to a
level section of sidewalk and tell them to come inspect it whenever they
please".

-Rick

LRod wrote:
On Tue, 04 May 2004 12:59:19 -0700, Rick Nelson
wrote:

LRod wrote:

do). I did it myself. Safely, within code, but undocumented. No one
will ever know; certainly not my insurer.

I'm not second guessing your skills, but what if a fire occured and the
fire chief determined it was due to the wiring? Wouldn't the insurance
company send an inspector out to look at the wiring and possibly ask for
some documentation proving that the wiring was certified within code?

That's precisely the scenario to which I refer. First keep in mind
that due to my knowledge and craftsmanship (I'm not being arrogant
here, just factual) the wiring is no more likely to be the cause than
the original electrician's.

Getting past that to the possibility that *anything* could go wrong,
my house is more than 30 years old, I am the third owner, and the
second owner lived in it for more than 25 years. What documentation is
there going to be? Possibly the original permit, but what did the
previous two owners do and is it documented? The immediately previous
owner is deceased, so unavailable for testimony.

We're getting into the "dust-explosion-in-plastic-pipe" arena here.
There is also a hot topic that flares up periodically on
rec.food.equipment regarding the installation of a commercial range in
a residence and how it relates to insurance. Most of it, and this
electrical-wiring-without-a-permit scenario is urban legend, in my
opinion.

I don't believe an insurer is going to dispute my claim based on what
a previous owner may or may not have done 25 years ago, unless it's
something obviously wrong. In fact, I'll issue the same challenge on
this subject that I have in the past on the plastic pipe thing: cite
one verifiable example of a home fire caused by faulty wiring in which
an insurance carrier denied a claim because of lack of documentation
of proper permiting and inspection. If that can be accomplished, I'll
never post a response on an electrical question again.

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and wire away willy-nilly. I am
saying that doing electrical work to the same standard or above as a
licensed electrician is an extremely low risk that *I* am willing to
take on *my* property.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net