Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

On Nov 24, 12:37*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Anyone who can read and comprehend understands that
what that means is that similar EPA rules for minimum energy
efficiency will apply to states in southern climates. * They
are applying rules for furnaces where it's cold and rules for
AC where it's hot, because that's where the most energy
is used. *Really simple concepts.

Hi,
This is no brainer. Higher efficiency furnaces and higher SEER a/c
units. I got digned pretty bad when I upgraded ~20 yo system during
summer time. 98% efficiency furnace, 18SEER a/c and HRV box, wireless
thermostat, etc. I had to cancel my summer vacation to pay for it, LOL!
Utility bill shows slight barely noticeable power and gas savings.

What was the efficiency of the 20 year old system?
Having a barely noticeable energy savings on gas and
electric when replacing a system that old would seem
to be very unusual. I put in a new 93% gas furnace
and 14 SEER AC two years ago and the difference was
large. It cut my gas bill almost in half, summer AC by
about 30% or so.