Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Keeping a trailer frame from rusting

Ignoramus31399 wrote:

Hydraulic oil has lots of rust inhibitors (compared to
engine oil). It will work well. It combines well with
the existing rust to make an effective barrier. Thin it
with naphtha so that it soaks in.
I have lots of hydraulic oil, new and used, but all clean.

And STILL illegal to use this way. BUT go ahead. Just don't start crying
when someone comes knocking on the door...

Steve, I do not want to get in trouble with DOT or police, I am a new
DOT registrant and want everything to be on the up and up. What
exactly is the rule or law that you are referring to?

There is a requirement on the DOT books to check vehicles for oil
leakage or excessive oil seepage.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6863823_con...g-car-oil.html

"The EPA states illegal dumping of motor oil, or any hazardous waste to
be "the disposal of waste in an unpermitted area, such as a back area of
a yard, along stream bank[s], down storm drains or at some other
off-road area". Waste is considered not only motor oil, but any solid,
liquid, sludge or gas such as cleaning solutions, lubricants and
leftover chemicals from commercial or private use."

Somewhere in this mess you will find the laws.
http://www.epa.state.il.us/land/illegal-dumping/
--
Steve W.