Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edge Joining Plywood

wrote:

I certainly didn't get the consensus I was expecting. The answers
have been all over the place. :-)

The only real surprise to me was the recommendation to just glue the
plywood edges to each other without any special routing. (All the more
easier, I say).

I try to keep things simple, but just to show *exactly* what I'm doing
here, I'm replacing the top of a game cabinet like this:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...PositionII.jpg

The 22-1/2" x 6" piece above the marquee is vinyl covered particle
board and it slopes down at 15°:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...arqueeRoof.jpg

Here's a shot of the cabinet without it:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...eRoof-less.jpg

I will make the 5" wide piece I have wider to match this original 6"
wide piece, which has a 15° bezel on the front and rear:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ueeRoofTop.jpg

I will then glue/screw the two 3/4" blocks taken from the bottom
original piece onto the ends of the new piece:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...RoofBottom.jpg

Those two blocks will also be glued back to the inside of the cabinet.
Go down to your handy dandy Home Depot and get a couple of paint
mixing sticks.

Run thru table saw to form 1" wide strips (splines).

Cut to length as required.

Cut 1/2" deep slots in both pieces of plywood using slot cutter.

Assemble splines, plywood pieces and glue with TiteBond II.

Allow a couple of days to cure out.

(A couple of beers aids in this part of the process.)

Sand smooth and apply vinyl.

Time for more beer to enjoy your accomplishments.

Have fun.

Lew