Robert Bonomi

Default Running a 220 receptacle to garage

In article ,
wrote:
I've got a new saw coming Friday, and I need to run 220 to my attached
garage. I just want the one receptacle. Having read enough on it, I
think it's well within my home improvement skills (my wife, OTOH, is
shopping for funeral wear.) The only thing I don't know is whether
this is something I'm allowed to DIY. Is it something that typically
requires a permit? Inspection? Or can I just do it and go?

Location, location, location! grin

The 'rules' *DO* vary by locale.

If you're 'out on the farm', there's _probably_ no permit/inspection required.

In a town, it's a near certainty that a permit/inspection is part of the
letter of the law.

In _most_ communities, a homeowner -- of a single-family dwelling -- can be
certified to to the work themselves, by passing a relatively simple test.

Frequently, people do ignore the permit/inspection requirements. The "down-
side risk" of doing that is quite substantial. As in: it is grounds for your
insurer to refuse to pay off on a claim against your homeowner's policy.

I don't know where you're having to run the wiring _from_ (yes, the breaker
panel, obviously -- but _where_ is *it* located? , but there -are- issues
with going through the wall between the garage and the 'living' spaces. If
the panel is in the garage, then, of course, -that- matter is moot.

_Authoritative_ answers for your locale are available from whatever the
local-level governmental jurisdiction is --- village, town, city, county,
parish, or whatever.

The permit/inspection route is not terribly expensive.

And it's generally worth *more* than the dollar cost, in terms of
'preserving domestic tranquility'. Having the expert bless it and
say 'you done it right' _does_ have value "in house". grin