Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Keeping a trailer frame from rusting

On 2012-11-21, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:46:18 -0600, Ignoramus28180
wrote:

I have a Transcraft Tl-2000 semi trailer, which is in a remarkably
decent condition, considering it is 17 years old. It has superficial
surface rust, but no through holes or big pieces or rust falling off.

It was owned by a construction cmpany prior to me buying it at
auction, and it was probably not used much during winter.

Well I will need to use it during winter, so, my question, how to rust
proof it cheaply. (it cost me only $1.5k plus buyer premium). Say, can
I spray some oil on the frame every couple of months? Would that work
satisfactorily?
I'm interested in this thread. I've been looking into using acids to
remove (actually "convert") rust prior to paint. Dilute phosphoric
seems to be the stuff. I hope someone has done this and gives us a
story on it. I need to remove or convert rusted poles set in concrete
on my back patio prior to repainting them.

I've always thought that a good, thick coat of paint would be the best
protection against rust, but cleaning the rust off (and removing the
cleaner and broken-down materials) prior to painting has always been
the hardest part.

I wonder how hard it would be to Parkerize your entire trailer...

You have the added "benefit" of tons of salt on your roads up there,
too, don't you? Have you looked into the electronic rust prohibitors?
That "cathodic protection" concept seems pretty cool, but I understand
that it doesn't work on automobiles.

It works only where there is a complete path for current. For
automobiles, the analogue is galvanizing.

But, I thought, some clean oil sprayed on the metal every couple of
months, ought to work?

Hydraulic oil has lots of rust inhibitors (compared to
engine oil). It will work well. It combines well with
the existing rust to make an effective barrier. Thin it
with naphtha so that it soaks in.

I have lots of hydraulic oil, new and used, but all clean.

And STILL illegal to use this way. BUT go ahead. Just don't start crying
when someone comes knocking on the door...

--
Steve W.