Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Keeping a trailer frame from rusting

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

I oil the beam of my log splitter with whatever I want to dispose
of,
most recently bath oil. Only LPS-3 has kept it from rusting in
storage, outdoors under cover. Hydraulic oil seems to keep
already-rusted surfaces from getting worse but isn't much help on
bare
steel.

Way back before they banned it I tried brushing used motor oil under
vehicle and found it nearly useless as it washed away too quickly.
That's what made me test protective sprays including LPS-3. WD-40 is
junk, some of the others worked pretty well. LPS-3 was the easiest
buy locally and not as messy as industrial chain lube.

Several years ago I sprayed a thin layer of undercoating on a rusty
wheelbarrow that stays out in the weather. Rust hasn't crept under
and
lifted it though it's worn through in places.

=======================================

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've seen LPS products at store, near me. Well, 20 miles is
"somewhat" near
me. Thanks for the field report.

Have you tried LPS3 under vehicles?

Christopher A. Young

I've sprayed them every fall for decades, been doing it this morning.
It slows rusting down very substantially but doesn't completely stop
it on surfaces exposed to tire splash or engine heat. It works better
in protected areas and keeps bolt threads from rusting as long as I've
owned the vehicle, 20+ years for my truck.

I use the hand spray bottle and dilute it with solvent to make it go
further and soak into rust and crevices better. The aerosol cans are
wasteful and the thick waxy layer they leave soon fills with dirt and
falls or washes away under a car, so I apply it more lightly that a
single coat of spray paint, only enough for the thin surface rust to
absorb. An hour later it's invisible.

On my tractor bucket loader it kept bare machined surfaces from
rusting for about 5 years, except where hydraulic oil leaks washed it
off.